Career Connections & Community Engagement
Financial Aid
Health & Counseling
International Students
Mail & Copy Center
Learning, Advising, and Balance
Registrar & Records
Safety & Transportation
Student Access and Support Services
Student Accounts
Subject Tutoring
Undocumented Students
Writing Support

Student Access and Support Services

Policies and Procedures

Service Animal and Emotional Support Animals

Mills College seeks to accommodate qualified persons with disabilities who need the assistance of service animals or emotional support animals. The College is also mindful of the health and safety interests of the general campus community. This policy is aimed at meeting the needs of all Mills College students and community. Success requires the cooperation of all students, staff and faculty.

Service Animals are permitted in Mills College buildings if they meet the ADA definition of "any animal individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including, but not limited to, guiding individuals with impaired vision, alerting individuals who are hearing impaired to intruder or sound, providing minimal protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, or fetching dropped items."

The following must be on file with SASS:

Emotional support animals are NOT allowed in academic buildings, common spaces such as library, labs, dining facilities, bookstore, etc. Emotional support animals are allowed with prior registration and approval in student resident hall rooms or apartment rooms.

In addition:

The animal's owner must be a registered SASS student with current  documentation on file with SASS by a professional medical/mental health care provider that indicates how the animal accommodates for their disability and how its tasks are directly linked to the student's disability. The documentation should also make clear how the service animal supports the student's equal access to the college's activities, programs and services. Service animals must also be registered with the Mills College Department of Public Safety and follow Public Safety’s Animal Policy.

Grievance Policy

Any student who has questions about accommodations or who is dissatisfied with the kind of accommodations received, or how those accommodations are delivered, is responsible for contacting Student Access and Support Services as soon as possible to have the situation reviewed.

Any student who believes they have been discriminated against on the basis of disability should contact the Coordinator of the Grievance Process for information about grievance procedures.

The current coordinator is Cassie Eskridge, Associate Dean of Students, who may be reached at or by calling 510.430.3241.

Student Guide to Concerns, Complaints, and Grievances



Exam FAQ

Contact Information

Student Access and Support Services
Cowell Building 
P: 510.430.3307
F: 510.430.3235

Last Updated: 7/19/18