Career Connections & Community Engagement
Financial Aid
Health & Counseling
International Students
Mail & Copy Center
Learning, Advising, and Balance
Registrar & Records
Safety & Transportation
Student Access and Support Services
Student Accounts
Subject Tutoring
Undocumented Students
Writing Support

Registrar and Records

Cross-Registration Program

Eligibility Participating SchoolsRegulationsGrades and TranscriptsEnrollment Deadlines CostCross-Registration Instructions

Please remember that you are responsible for knowing the procedures and deadlines outlined here. Be sure to read carefully so that you have all the information you need.


To be eligible to participate in the Mills cross-registration program you must be:

A sophomore, junior or senior, registered in at least 12.0 semester hours, with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00; or

A graduate student, enrolled at least part time, with department approval. Note that graduate students will not receive credit for lower-division undergraduate courses.

Part-time undergraduate students carrying at least 6.0 semester hours are eligible for cross-registration. The student will be charged for the cross-registration course at the current per-credit tuition rate.

Seniors and graduate students in their last term of attendance may cross-register but should note that the time to process the cross-registration transcript will delay the posting of the Mills degree and release of the diploma.

Note: Institutions may require students to meet California or institutional residency requirements.

back to top

Participating Schools

Berkeley City College
California College of the Arts (Undergraduate Level courses only)
California State University, East Bay
City College of San Francisco
College of Alameda
Contra Costa College
Graduate Theological Union (Juniors, Seniors and Graduate students only)
Holy Names University (Graduate MBA students only)
Laney College
Merritt College
Napa Valley College
Saint Mary's College
Sonoma State University
University of California, Berkeley (excluding UC Extension)

Our cross-registration program also allows students from these other colleges and universities to share the Mills experience.

back to top


All Students

Do not register directly through the host school.  By registering directly through the host school, you are not participating in the cross-registration program and are responsible for any charges, including tuition and fees.

Students at the host institution have priority registration for their home institution's courses.  Courses available for cross-registration are dependent upon space available.  Consult the instructor on the first day of instruction whether there is space available in the class.

Eligible students may cross-register for up to one course per semester, provided the course is not offered during the same semester at Mills College.

Students must meet all prerequisites and criteria for cross-registration.

Students may not enroll in independent study, tutorial or individual instruction courses.

Cross-registration is not available during the summer or January (Intersession) terms.

Students who cross-register at schools during a winter quarter will see the course on their Mills spring term schedule. Students may not cross-register at a quarter system school for both the winter and spring quarters.

Students will receive a temporary library card to access necessary course materials.

Undergraduate Students

No more than four cross-registered courses may apply toward your undergraduate degree.

Cross-registration courses do not count toward the undergraduate residency requirement of 40 semester course credits at Mills.

Graduate Students

No more than 6 semester course credits of cross-registered courses may apply toward your graduate degree.

Graduate students will not receive credit for lower-division undergraduate work.

back to top 

Grades and Transcripts

Credit is automatically transferred by the host school to Mills for evaluation and transcription. Transcripts are received several weeks after the end of the term, and evaluated immediately upon receipt. Check your myMills account to see your updated transcript.

The host school is not required to keep a record of your work or to provide transcripts.

Receiving credit depends upon your meeting the academic requirements and deadlines of both Mills and the host school.

Credit through cross-registration is not considered transfer credit. However, unlike credit earned at Mills, cross-registration credit does not count toward the 40-credit residency requirement. Grades for cross-registration courses are calculated into your Mills GPA.

back to top 

Enrollment Deadlines

Cross-registration calendar information is available in the Office of the Registrar at the host school.

You are responsible for meeting the registration deadlines at the host school, and for any late fees if you miss the deadline. A completed Cross Registration Permit must be turned into the Academic Records Office by the add deadline.  

If you drop your cross-registration course you must adhere to the deadlines of the host school and Mills.


Mills undergraduate students registered in fewer than 12 credits or more than 18 credits (overload), will be charged for cross registration per credit (overloads require approval from the Academic Standing Committee).

Mills graduate students in a per credit program, will be charged a per credit rate. Students in a flat rate cohort will not receive additional charges.

For some of the host institutions there may be a small administrative fee that will need to be paid directly to the host institution by the student.

Payment for courses added after the tuition payment deadline, must be paid for immediately in accordance with the Tuition and Fees schedule.

Students are responsible for any laboratory or special fees. Students are also responsible for purchasing a parking pass, if necessary, through the Public Safety office.

Library use is free (except at UC Berkeley) with identification (your signed permit form).

Cross-Registration Instructions

1. Consult the catalog and schedule of classes available at the institution you are interested in attending.

2. Complete Cross Registration Permit, securing the necessary signatures in the order requested on the form. Obtaining signatures out of order may delay processing or result in being charged for the course at the host school.

**If the cross-registered class creates a course overload, you must petition the Academic Standing Committee to get approval of your overload before your cross-registration will be approved. There are additional tuition charges per credit for credit exceeding the maximum credit allowed.

**See below for special procedures for Peralta Community Colleges.

3. Present your completed permit to your host school registrar no later than the end of the first week of classes at the host school.

4. Return a copy of the Cross Registration Permit with all signatures to Mills' Academic Records Office by the add deadline of the semester. At this time the the registrar will add you to a cross registration course (XREG CRD). 

5. Keep a copy for identification purposes.

Part-time students must pay for their cross-registered class by the second week of classes.

To drop a cross-registration course you must follow the regular procedure to drop a course. You must also follow the drop procedure at the host institution, adhering to both schools' deadlines. If you drop the course, you must inform both schools to avoid a possible "UW" or "F" grade.

Special Procedures and Restrictions by Institution

Note: Institutions may require students to meet California or institutional residency requirements.

California College of the Arts

Only undergraduate-level courses are open to cross-registration students.

City College of San Francisco

All Mills students must submit a CCSF Application for Admission in addition to the Cross-Registration Permit. After obtaining the instructor’s signature, submit the cross registration form to the registrar’s office for registration in the course.

Graduate Theological Union

Cross-registration is open only to junior, senior and graduate Mills students.

Peralta Community Colleges (Laney College, Berkeley City College, Merritt College, Alameda College)

California Community College policy requires you apply for admission to a Peralta Community College using their online application process. Apply as seeking a BA or Bachelor’s (not New Student of Returning Student). You will receive a follow up email with an ID. Then take cross registration permit to the host counseling, transfer center, or registrar/records office.

University of California, Berkeley

Complete the permit form including Mills' signatures.

Cross-registration permits for UC Berkeley must include the Course Control Number (five-digit number). This number is available from the UC Berkeley schedule of classes.

Attend UC class during the first week and secure the instructor's signature.

After obtaining the instructor's signature, go to UC Berkeley's Registrar Office and obtain their signature. Then return the completed permit to Academic Records by the add deadline of the semester.

To drop a UC class, notify the instructor and go to Sproul Hall, Room 120, to notify the cross-registration coordinator. You must also notify Mills College by following the regular drop course procedure.

Students wanting to participate in the UC Berkeley ROTC Program must complete the Cross Registration Permit and the Military Affairs Program Cross-Registration Application. The Military Program Cross-Registration Application may be obtained from the Department of Military Services at UC Berkeley.  It is the responsibility of the student to ensure both forms are completed by each institution's add deadline.





Online FAQ
Online Instructions

Academic Requirements

Academic Records Forms


Degree and Enrollment Verification

Degree Works

Domestic Study Opportunities

Records FAQ

Transcript Requests

Undergrad Transfer Credit

Veteran's Benefits


Monday, 9:00-4:00
Tuesday-Thursday, 9:00-5:00
Friday, 10:00-5:00

Contact Information

Carnegie Hall

P: 510.430.2000
F: 510.430.2003

Last Updated: 3/27/19