Career Connections & Community Engagement
Financial Aid
Health & Counseling
International Students
Mail & Copy Center
Learning, Advising, and Balance
Registrar & Records
Safety & Transportation
Student Access and Support Services
Student Accounts
Subject Tutoring
Undocumented Students
Writing Support

Health and Counseling

Government Health Plans

The Affordable Care Act: Although the individual mandate of the Affordable Care Act exempts those who earn less than $10,000 per year from required individual health insurance, you are required by Mills College to carry health insurance as long as you are a student here.

California's Health Benefits Exchange: Plans purchased through Covered California meet the alternate coverage requirements for most Mills students. International students have additional requirements (make an appointment with the Wellness Manager by calling 510.430.2130).

Government subsidies for premium assistance are available for those in households earning between 138% and 400% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). Special enrollment options are available for those with qualifying events, including loss of other coverage outside the open enrollment periods. Those who qualify for Medicaid/Medi-Cal may also sign up at any time through Covered California or in Alameda County through the County public benefits enrollment site.

Your household may qualify for the publicly funded health insurance coverage program for low-income families and individuals called Medicaid (Medi-Cal in California) if your household income is at or below 138% of the FPL. Those who qualify for Medi-Cal may sign up during Open Enrollment at Covered California or any time for Medi-Cal in Alameda County through the County public benefits enrollment site. More information about Medi-Cal benefits and enrollment can be found here.  Please be aware that obtaining public benefits such as Medi-Cal can take some time.  Please start our enrollment process as soon as you can. Another way to sign up for Medi-Cal is through a community health center. Use this search tool and call the appointment line for a clinic near to you and indicate you would like to enroll in Medi-Cal, asking for an appointment with an eligibility worker. You can also contact the Alameda Alliance, a Medi-Cal managed care provider with a nearby clinic (Eastmont Wellness Center). You can do the same thing with a Planned Parenthood clinic if you have a reproductive health care need—they accept private insurance and Medi-Cal. If you need further assistance with Medi-Cal enrollment or you need to complete a waiver using Medi-Cal, but do not have the policy number yet, please contact the Wellness Manager for assistance during Mills Open Enrollment periods by emailing or calling 510.430.2130 to request an appointment. 

Rates: See Mills Health Plans.

For more information, contact


Information for Newly Admitted Students

Student Health Center

Counseling & Psychological Services

Student Health Insurance

Vaccinations and TB Screening

Community Health Resources

Wellness Information and Education

Title IX

Contact Information

Wellness & Community Outreach
Cowell Building

P: 510.430.2260
F: 510.430.3235

Student Health Center
(for appointments, nurse advice, or to return a call)

P: 510.671.3985

Last Updated: 8/7/17