Applying for On-Campus Housing

How to Apply

Students who have paid an enrollment deposit can submit housing applications through the online StarRez system, accessed through the Mills Resource Portal. The room draw process for continuing students is also conducted through StarRez (visit the Room Draw and Lottery webpage for details). You can access the online housing application under "Featured Services" in the Mills Resource Portal.

A one-time $250 application fee is required before the housing application can be accessed. Application fees will not need to be resubmitted by students who reapply for on-campus housing in the future, but the housing application fee is non-refundable. Application fees can be paid as the first step of the online Housing Application (accessed through the Mills Resource Portal) or by cash, check, Visa, or MasterCard through the HMDS Office (by visiting Sage Hall 138 or calling 510.430.2127).

Summer Housing Applications

The summer housing application will be available as of April 14, 2022. You can find the summer housing application on the Mills Resource Portal through the housing application icon. The application deadline for summer housing is May 2, 2022, by 12:00 pm PDT. Summer housing is only available to students who will live in this housing for at least 21 consecutive nights. Please note that at least 21 nights' notice must be given by students who plan to move out mid-summer. Priority is given to full-summer applicants. Summer residents must meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • Active Mills student who is working or interning in the area

  • Active Mills student who is taking classes in the area or online

  • Active Mills student living in the Courtyard Townhouses or the Underwood Apartments in spring 2022 and will once again live in one of these spaces in fall 2022.

User Guides

Book Art Summer Housing

We offer short-term housing in the summer for the Book Art Program. For more details about cost and duration of stay, please see the Residential Agreement (PDF).

Family Housing Application Materials

To apply for family housing in the Underwood Apartments, please complete the Family Housing Info and Waiting List Application (PDF).

To apply for all options besides family housing, please complete the Housing Application under Featured Services in the Mills Resource Portal.

Winter Break & January Term Housing

We also offer housing for students who are interested in living on campus for all of winter break or January Term. This housing is available to students who live in our traditional residence halls during the fall and spring semesters and to students who usually live off campus. Students residing in our independent living spaces (Prospect Hill Apartments and Courtyard Townhouses) are allowed to remain in those spaces over winter break as part of their housing contracts. Visit the winter break/J-Term housing information web page for additional information and application details. For questions about housing and the application process, please contact Housing Management and Dining Services (HMDS) at 510.430.2127 or

Additional Housing Information

Application Fees & Refunds

Service & Emotional Support Animal Policy

Early Arrival Policy (PDF)

Late Stay Policy (PDF)

Move Out Instructions

Room Change Request (PDF)

Application for Release from Housing Agreement (PDF)

Service Request