Health Coverage Through Government Programs

The Affordable Care Act

Although the individual mandate of the Affordable Care Act exempts those who earn less than $10,000 per year from required individual health insurance, you are required by Mills College to carry health insurance as long as you are a student here.

Plans purchased through Covered California meet the alternate coverage requirements for most Mills students. International students have additional requirements (make an appointment with the Wellness Manager by calling 510.430.2130).

Government subsidies for premium assistance are available for those in households earning between 138 percent and 400 percent of the federal poverty level. Special enrollment options are available for those with qualifying events, including loss of other coverage outside the open enrollment periods. Those who qualify for Medicaid/Medi-Cal may also sign up at any time through Covered California or in Alameda County through the county's public benefits enrollment site.


Your household may qualify for the publicly funded health insurance coverage program for low-income families and individuals called Medicaid (Medi-Cal in California) if your household income is at or below 138 percent of the federalpovertylevel. Those who qualify for Medi-Cal may sign up during open enrollment at Covered California or any time for Medi-Cal in Alameda County through the county's public benefits enrollment site. More information about Medi-Cal benefits and enrollment can be found here. Please be aware that obtaining public benefits such as Medi-Cal can take some time. Please start our enrollment process as soon as you can. Another way to sign up for Medi-Cal is through a community health center. Use this search tool and call the appointment line for a clinic near to you and indicate you would like to enroll in Medi-Cal, asking for an appointment with an eligibility worker. You can also contact the Alameda Alliance, a Medi-Cal managed care provider with a nearby clinic (Eastmont Wellness Center). You can do the same thing with a Planned Parenthood clinic if you have a reproductive healthcare need—they accept private insurance and Medi-Cal. If you need further assistance with Medi-Cal enrollment or you need to complete a waiver using Medi-Cal, but do not have the policy number yet, please contact the Wellness Manager for assistance during the College's open enrollment periods by emailing or calling 510.430.2130 to request an appointment. 

For more information, contact