Veterans Benefits

How Do I Apply for VA Education Benefits When I've Never Attended College Before?

Determine and complete your VA education benefits application at the Veterans Affairs GI Bill website.

You may need to enter the facility code for Mills College, which is 3-1-3500-05.

If you are eligible, the Department of Veterans Affairs will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that specifies which education benefit and how many remain of your benefits.

New to Mills College or Transferring from Another Institution?

Contact our School Certifying Official (SCO) and let them know you will be attending Mills College. They will be able to answer any questions regarding veteran-related information.

Once you register for classes please submit the following:

  • Certificate of Eligibility
  • Completed Veteran's Benefit Intent form (PDF)
  • VA-1995 form (Change of program or place of training) for transfer students
  • Education Plan from your Academic Advisor

Continuing Mills College Students

After students register for their semester courses they will need to submit the following:

Once the School Certifying official has received this, it can take up to three weeks to submit the VA Certificate VA-1999 to the Muskogee Regional Processing Office. Please submit your Veteran Benefit Intent form once you have registered for class in order to be certified in a timely manner.

Mills College and the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veteran’s Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition and fee expenses that exceed $24,476.79 for the academic year. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and the VA will match the same amount.

  • For undergraduates, Mills College will contribute 50% of the unmet net tuition and fees, up to $3,000 in an academic year.
  • For graduates, Mills College will contribute 50% of the unmet net tuition and fees, up to $7,500 in an academic year.

Mills College participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program and grants the education assistance to persons who provide eligibility documentation from the Veterans Affairs. Yellow Ribbon is applicable when the following applies:

  • Mills continues to participate in the program,
  • The student remains in good academic standing,
  • The student is eligible for 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill ® and has remaining entitlement, and
  • The student has reached the $24,476.79 tuition and fees maximum required by the VA to activate the Yellow Ribbon benefits.

Mills College VA Certifying Official

Mills College VA Certifying Official can be contacted at