Types of Undergraduate Financial Aid

Financial assistance to help you afford a Mills education can come from a variety of sources:

  • Federal grants are a form of gift aid, meaning that funds awarded to a student do not need to be repaid. These funds are awarded to students who demonstrate financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • State of California grants are another form of gift aid administered by the State of California, which may be awarded to eligible California residents. These grants offer either tuition assistance and/or a living allowance, depending on the grant. Funds are awarded based on financial need and grade point average. To be considered for a grant, students must file the FAFSA or the California DREAM Act Application as well as the Cal Grant GPA Verification form.
  • Mills College merit and need-based scholarships are funds awarded directly from the College in recognition of a student’s exceptional merit, donor-specific criteria, and/or demonstrated financial need. All full-time first-year students and full-time transfer students who submit a complete admission application and file the FAFSA will automatically be considered for any relevant Mills scholarships.
  • Federal student loan programs are low-interest loans available to students with demonstrated financial need. Students who receive federal loans must complete entrance and exit counseling in order to understand their obligations as student loan borrowers. All loan funds must be repaid according to the terms of the loan.
  • Federal work-study provides students with funds that they can earn through on-campus student employment. Prior to beginning work, the student must complete a Federal Work-Study Employment Agreement and submit an I-9 and W-4 form to the College.
  • Additional student loan options are available from private lenders. These are typically credit-based loans and may have higher interest rates and fees than federal loans. Any private loans that a student takes out must be certified by the College. All funds received from private loans must be repaid according to the terms of the loan.
  • Community/employer/private scholarships can reduce the out-of-pocket expense of a student’s education. Students can research what opportunities may be available through their community networks or search scholarships through reputable databases.

We encourage you to apply for all federal and state financial aid by the appropriate deadlines. Even if you do not qualify for federal or state aid, you may still be eligible for assistance from Mills through our institutional aid program.