Types of Graduate Financial Aid

Financial assistance to help you afford a Mills education can come from a variety of sources:

  • Mills College graduate scholarships, assistantships, and fellowships are funds awarded directly from the College based on a student’s demonstrated financial need. All full-time entering graduate students who indicate an interest in financial aid when completing the Mills admission application and who file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be considered for any relevant Mills awards.
  • Federal student loan programs are low-interest loans available to students with demonstrated financial need. Students who receive federal loans must complete entrance and exit counseling in order to understand their obligations as student loan borrowers. All loan funds must be repaid according to the terms of the loan.
  • Additional student loan options are available from private lenders. These are typically credit-based loans and may have higher interest rates and fees than federal loans. Any private loans that a student takes out must be certified by the College. All funds received from private loans must be repaid according to the terms of the loan.
  • Community/employer/private scholarships can reduce the out-of-pocket expense of a graduate education. Students can research what opportunities may be available through their community networks or search scholarships through reputable databases.

We encourage you to apply for all federal financial aid by the appropriate deadlines. Even if you do not qualify for federal or state aid, you may still be eligible for assistance from Mills through our departmental aid programs.

Graduate students who are seeking part-time employment opportunities to supplement their aid package are encouraged to leverage the full resources of the College's Career Connections & Community Engagement Office.