Undergraduate Catalog
» Graduate Catalog
Course Descriptions
Academic Calendar
Campus Directory

Home > Academics > Graduate >
Graduate Catalog

International Students


Mills College is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students and encourages applications from graduates of colleges and universities abroad that have the equivalent of a regionally accredited four-year US bachelor's degree, and international students who have graduated from US universities. Admission of international students is highly competitive and is based on a close examination of a variety of credentials.

International applicants must submit the same application materials as American applicants as well as the following supporting materials.

Certification of Finances

The Certificate of Finances form and official supporting bank documents must be submitted prior to enrollment. Per US government regulations, an international applicant should have sufficient funds for two years of tuition, fees, and living expenses in the United States. Original documents may be mailed or emailed to Mills College’s Office of Graduate Admissions as scanned copies. Faxes are not accepted. International applicants should be aware that financial assistance is very limited. Even applicants who receive financial aid must be prepared to contribute significantly to the cost of their education. Failure to pay outstanding fees prevents students from registering for classes and endangers their valid nonimmigrant student status.

US government regulations prohibit students with an F-1 student visa from off-campus employment, unless 1) the student receives advanced approval from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for Optional Practical Training (OPT), or 2) employment is an integral part of the established curriculum, which would qualify students for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Some academic departments are also able to offer graduate assistantships to international students, and there are also opportunities for on-campus employment, though limited. However, international students should not rely on employment, either on or off campus, as the primary means of financing their graduate education.


Mills College requires all applicants who hold a bachelor's degree from outside of the US to submit an official transcript evaluation from a member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). The official transcript evaluation should be a course-by-course evaluation, which assesses whether a student’s undergraduate degree is equivalent to a US bachelor’s degree, the student’s undergraduate grade point average (GPA), and the grades the student received in all courses taken towards completion of the bachelor’s degree. Students also have the option of sending us a general transcript evaluation, which only assesses equivalency to a US bachelor’s degree, as long as the evaluation is also accompanied by an official transcript sent to us directly from their institution and a certified translation of the official transcript if it is not originally in English. The Office of Graduate Admissions advises students to request transcript evaluations as early as possible in the application process.

back to top

Proof of English Language Proficiency

All non-native speakers of English are required to show proof of English language proficiency unless they hold a bachelor’s degree from a university or college located in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or Great Britain, completed their degree at a university or college at which the primary instruction is English, or attended at least one year of university or college in the U.S. Mills College accepts the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), the Duolingo English Test (DET), or the English Language School (ELS) Level 112 Certificate. We are also accepting the Education First (EF) level C21 completion certificate as a pilot for proof of English Langauage Proficiency for graduate study at Mills.

Most programs require a minimum of 550 on the paper-based test, 80 for the internet-based exam, an IELTS overall band-score of 6.5 or higher, or a 60% on the DET. Graduate programs in English require minimum TOEFL scores of 600 on the paper-based test, 100 for the Internet-based exam, an IELTS overall band-score of 7.0 or greater, or a 70% on the DET.  It is the expectation of Mills College that all students meet the minimum English profiency requirements for their program. For applicants who receive a score is just below the required minimum on the TOEFL or IELTS, they may retake either of those tests, enroll in ELS, or take the DET and receive a passing score.

If, after the accepted applicant arrives, it appears that further help in language is needed, a tutor's services may have to be obtained through our multi-lingual services department or externally at the applicant's expense.

More information about the exams are available online at the ETS website, the IELTS website, the DET website, and the ELS website.

Conditional Admission

Conditional admission may be granted to students who have met the program academic requirements but have not yet satisfied the English language proficiency requirement. Students admitted under conditional admission must enroll in an English for Academic Programs course at an ELS Language Center and complete the ELS Level 112 Certificate, or meet the minimum TOEFL, IELTS, or DET requirements for their program prior to enrolling at Mills. Conditional admission is valid for up to one year. Students who do not complete the language requirement in that time are required to re-apply.

To learn more, please visit the ELS Language Center.


Letters of recommendation should testify to the international applicant's English writing and speaking abilities, as well as potential for success in graduate studies.

I-20 Form

An I-20 form will be provided only after the admitted student has submitted her/his $300 nonrefundable tuition deposit to the Office of Graduate Admissions. This deposit will be credited to the student's first-semester tuition.

The I-20 form will allow international applicants to apply for an F-1 student visa to study in the United States. Students should make an appointment at the nearest US consulate in their country and take the I-20 form, their passport, proof of their financial ability, proof of payment of the SEVIS fee, English proficiency test score reports, and their Mills College acceptance letter to their appointment. Upon consulate approval, an official at the consulate will affix an F-1 visa inside the passport. Together with the I-20 form, this student visa will enable the student to enter the United States.

If the student has attended another US university or college just prior to enrolling at Mills, their SEVIS record will be transferred to Mills. The student must request their previous institution to complete the I-20 Transfer Request form (please refer to the International Applicant Packet), to be mailed or emailed to Mills College’s Office of Graduate Admissions.

It is important for international students to follow US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations. A prospective student may not obtain an I-20 from one institution and use it to attend another. International students must be in continuous full-time enrollment in order to maintain their valid student status.

The College advises international applicants to communicate clearly with the US Consulate or Embassy in their country to receive the most accurate information and guidance in seeking opportunities for study abroad.


On-campus housing is available for graduate students. Please see the Housing section of the website for more information about on-campus housing.

If international students plan to live on campus, the College recommends they apply for on-campus housing as early as possible. If international students plan to live off campus, students may contact the Office of Graduate Admissions for additional information and should conduct personal research on commuting and neighborhood options.

back to top

Graduate Catalog
Table of Contents

About Mills



Financial Aid

Advising and Registration

Academic Regulations

Last Updated: 7/31/17