Tip 1: Research funding opportunities at the same time you are researching program options.
- Compare costs with available funding using the Mills Study Abroad Budget Worksheet (PDF).
- Apply to your selected study abroad program(s) early since some funding is offered
on a first-come, first-served basis. Also, completing the application process early
will give you more time to focus on financial planning and budgeting for your time
Tip 2: Be sure to complete and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and Cal
Grant GPA Verification Form by the published deadlines for continuing students (or earlier). The FAFSA is available
online as early as October 1 of the year prior.
- Consider if a payment plan for your study abroad program is a good option for you.
- Sign up for eRefunds through Mills so you can receive any financial aid refunds via direct deposit. Make
sure you know how you'll access your funds while you are away.
Tip 3: Research the cost of living in your host country, and build a budget prior to your
departure so you're prepared for indirect costs.
- Consult with program alumnae or ambassadors to learn how they budgeted and what they
- Take advantage of student discounts on airfare and other forms of transportation using
resources such as StudentUniverse.