After You're Admitted

Congratulations on being admitted to a study abroad program! Once you've registered your program, completed any enrollment paperwork that your program requires, and submitted your enrollment deposit, there are a few more things you'll want to do ahead of your departure date. In addition, learn what to do if your study abroad plans change before or during your program.

Preparing to Travel | Withdrawing from or Extending Study Abroad

Preparing to Travel

Living and learning abroad is a life-changing experience. As you get ready to travel and take full advantage of all the opportunities available through study abroad, you'll need to:

  • Attend your required Mills Pre-Departure Orientation with the Office of Advising, Career, and Global Learning
  • Do further research on your host country and culture
  • Complete any pre-departure materials required by your program
  • Book your travel to and from your program destination

For international travel, don't wait until the last minute to book your flights. Most travel experts recommend booking flights one to three months prior to your departure date for the best fares combined with availability.

Visas & Passports

Investigate your destination’s visa requirements to see if you will need one. Some countries or programs may require that you apply for a student visa—a document, usually affixed in your passport, issued by a country’s embassy/consulate that allows you to enter the country for a specified duration and for a specific purpose (studies, tourism, etc.).

You can confirm the requirements and process for obtaining a student visa, if required, by contacting that country’s embassy or consulate. For additional assistance with your visa, contact your program of study directly.

Also. be sure that you have a current passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months after your planned return date in order for you to travel to your host country. If you are already a US passport holder, check if you will need to renew it. If you do not have a passport, you will need to apply for and receive one prior to your departure abroad.

Withdrawing from or Extending Study Abroad

Withdrawing from Your Study Abroad Program

If a situation arises that will prevent you from attending or completing your study abroad program and you need to withdraw, you must formally notify the staff of your study abroad program as well as the Office of Advising, Career, and Global Learning at Mills. To withdraw, submit a completed Study Abroad Cancellation form (PDF) to For students withdrawing from a fall, spring, or full academic year program, your withdrawal must be submitted and processed before you are able to register for any classes at Mills for the following semester.

Please note that withdrawals cannot be reversed and may have financial consequences (including partial or total loss of any program deposit, tuition, and/or other fees) depending on the time of withdrawal and the policies of your chosen study abroad program. Be sure to verify with your study abroad program what their cancellation/withdrawal policies are, and contact the Office of Advising, Career, and Global Learning at with any questions.

Extending Your Study Abroad Program

If you're interested in extending the length of your study abroad program, you must notify the Office of Advising, Career, and Global Learning as early as possible to request approval. These requests are subject to review by the Mills Registrar and your academic advisor. You may also need to extend the length of your visa in your host country.

You may spend up to one year studying abroad while being enrolled as a Mills student and remain eligible for financial aid through the College. Should you choose to extend your studies abroad beyond one year, you will be required to take a formal leave of absence from Mills.