What to Expect During Your Session
Please silence all electronic devices before arriving for your appointment.
Although each session between a writing tutor and student will be tailored to the
student’s needs, the following is a general overview of what to expect during a session:
- After introductions, your tutor will open the session by asking questions about the
writing assignment you’ve brought, what you’d like to focus on, and specific areas
of concern you have.
- This is the time to share with the tutor your assignment sheet and any other materials
- The information you provide—including your goals, areas of confidence in your writing,
and areas with which you’re not satisfied—will guide the session.
- You and your tutor will review areas of your paper together; your tutor may ask you
to read aloud parts of your essay as a self-editing strategy.
- By reading aloud, you may be able to hear and correct errors or areas that don’t flow
well or aren't cohesive.
- Based on your main concerns and goals, the tutor will respectfully draw your attention
to manageable problems or patterns of error in the current draft (given the assignment’s
requirements and your own writing goals), provide feedback, and discuss strategies
to strengthen your writing process and the paper under review.
- Your tutor may suggest scheduling another appointment.
Keep in mind that your paper will remain under your authorship and authority; we suggest
that you record comments and discussion points directly on your paper so that you
may make effective revisions after your session.
Before wrapping up the session, the writing tutor will reinforce what has been discussed
and may ask you to summarize what you’ve learned and your next steps, in order to
check for understanding.
What to Do After Your Writing Support Session
- Refer to the notes you recorded during your session.
- Develop or revise your paper as soon as possible while the information from your consultation
is fresh in your mind.
- Schedule additional appointments, as needed, to continue working on your assignment
or for help with a new assignment.
We look forward to collaborating with you!