Plagiarism & Other Policies
Plagiarism is a difficult issue for any writing center. Our writing tutors generally
assume that the writing brought to them is the tutee’s own. If there are concerns
with how and when research is cited, Writing tutors will point out these concerns and explain the necessity for correct and thorough
Writing tutors are allowed to report suspected plagiarism to the tutee’s professor if the tutee
has agreed that they can share session content. Otherwise, the writing tutor will not report suspected plagiarism to anyone outside of Writing Center. If a writing
tutor believes that a paper is clearly not the work of the tutee present for tutoring, and
the tutee resists reworking the potentially plagiarized elements of the assignment,
that writing tutor may cancel the session.
Additional Writing Support Policies
- Students are welcome to use the LAB's materials and resources, but these materials
may not be removed from the LAB.
- Writing tutors do not replace instructors. Your professors are expert sources of guidance on writing
assignments. Use the writing support along with—not in place of—faculty assistance.
- As Mills College employees working in collaboration with College faculty, writing
tutors are strictly prohibited from speaking of faculty in a way that may jeopardize
intercollegiate relationships. They cannot listen to complaints about professors,
other tutors, assignments, or College policies.
- The Writing Center is not a proofreading service, and writing tutors cannot review
every aspect your writing. Rather, they will draw your attention to manageable problems
in the current draft, given assignment requirements and your own writing goals. Addressing
nuanced issues usually requires multiple appointments.
- Writing tutors are prepared to help you with writing personal statements for fellowships, jobs,
or graduate school; however, some schools and programs do not permit any outside assistance
with the writing of your personal statement. It is the tutee’s responsibility to determine
whether tutoring is permitted. The Mills College Writing Center is not liable if the
tutee violates such a policy.
- All visitors to the Writing Center are expected to treat the staff with courtesy and
respect. Please understand that if you abuse the scheduling system, our tutors, or our policies, you may no longer be eligible to receive our services.