Writing is a critical aspect of academic and professional success, so Mills offers
support services to help you become a better writer. Through the Office of Learning,
Advising, and Balance (the LAB), you can get the guidance and feedback you need to
improve your writing by working with peer tutors. Services include:
- Brainstorming and idea development
- Discussing approaches for outlining
- Developing and organizing papers
- Considering clarity of language and ideas
- Developing a strong thesis
- Discussing strategies for revision
- Improving grammar and punctuation
- Effectively using style and tone
- Honing editing and proofreading skills
- Citing evidence/sources appropriately
Feel free to visit the LAB even if you’re unsure about how to begin a writing assignment
or find yourself stuck during the process. You can also work with the LAB for feedback
on creative writing projects.
Although the LAB provides individual writing consultations, please keep in mind the
- Tutors will engage you in conversation about your writing and empower you to make
changes, but they aren't permitted to proofread or fix the writing for you.
- Tutors may assist with take-home essay exams only if your professor has provided written
permission or contacted the LAB directly.
- Tutors will not grade assignments or predict grades.
- While tutors do not interpret ideas or readings on your behalf, they can help you
think about ways to further examine and clarify your own ideas.